« Back to all items
Job Opening: Associate Professor of Experimental Fashion at the Estonia Academy of Arts
ELIA member the Estonian Acadamy of Arts in Tallinn, Estonia, is looking for an Associate Professor of Experimental Fahion. The starting date is 24 August 2020
The Estonian Academy of Arts is Estonia’s only public university that provides higher education in architecture, design, art and art culture, and it has operated continuously since 1914. The Academy of Arts trains artists, architects, designers, art historians and restorers. It offers approximately 30 specialities. A total of 1,200 students are enrolled.
Associate professor is a recognised teacher in his or her area of specialisation. The position of associate professor entails engaging in teaching, creative activity and research and development in his or her field.
The main role of the Associate Professor of Experimental Fashion is to develop a more sustainable direction for fashion design studies through research, critical thinking, and material experimentation. The successful candidate is to focus on supporting the functional and practical aspects of the Department of Fashion Design in terms of creating, executing,
and conceptualizing students` collections on both BA and MA levels. The candidate is also to support the department’s aim in reflecting more broadly on the perception of fashion as environmentally sensitive and socially expressive medium.
We welcome candidates with a clear understanding of the basics of research methods in fashion design and/or previous experience with academic research in the field. If needed, the Associate Professor is also required to have the readiness to lead practice-based projects, such as organizing exhibitions or stylistics workshops.
More information about the associate professor’s duties of employment can be found in the associate professor’s job description
Requirements for the candidate:
- master’s degree or equivalent qualification;
- recognized creative artist in their speciality;
- English proficiency B2, desire to learn Estonian;
- competence to organize teaching and to teach subjects in their speciality at the first two levels of higher education at minimum (teaching experience in higher education is required) and experience supervising students (unless the candidate has not worked as an ordinary teaching staff member in a higher education institution);
- ability to develop curricula and teaching methods;
- persons with prior experience working as teaching staff must have participated in in- service training in the field of teaching during the last five years;
- at least five years of active research, development and creative activity (RDC activities), competence to manage and direct RDC activity in their field and to apply for the necessary funding;
- experience leading a team or managing a project;
- management, cooperation and communication related competences.
More information about the requirements for the position of associate professor can be found here
Documents to be submitted (in English):
The Estonian Academy of Arts offers:
- signed application addressed to the rector;
- curriculum vitae (CV);
- document certifying education and degree along with copies of annexes to the document;
- digital portfolio (10-25 works);
- overview and substantiation of outstanding, distinguished results achieved in professional artistic activity;
- academic staff member’s teaching portfolio;
- other documents considered important by the candidate.
- the possibility to have a voice in the development of the speciality;
- meaningful work in a developing lifelong art design and architecture teaching environment, Estonia’s largest;
- opportunities for cooperation and continued growth in other universities in the world;
- a supportive professional team and strong student community;
- 56 days of holiday and flexible work time;
- incentivized participation in sports and exercise programs;
- an inspiring and contemporary work environment in the Kalamaja neighbourhood of Tallinn.
Application deadline: 9 March 2020