The theme of the 4th ELIA Leadership Symposium is “Value is Vulnerable”, inspired by a poem by the Dutch poet Lucebert. The relevance of this theme is underpinned by the current world crisis, which above all is a crisis of trust.
Hosted by Zurich University of the Arts, key decision-makers from leading and influential art schools worldwide will enter into discussion with representatives of prominent opera-houses, theatres, art galleries and private collections about the validity of traditional and innovative values as generated by artists and art institutions, in relation to the future of our societies.
The next Leadership Symposium, in 2011, will be held in Vancouver, hosted by Emily Carr University of Art and Design.
Round table contributors
Hans Jakob Roth
The 2009 ELIA Leadership Symposium revolved around the following five themes:
1. A Continuum of Cooperation and Competition
2. Arts in Economic Times: Arts, Economy and Ethics
3. Art Schools as Counterpart / Counterpoint to the Art Market and Creative Enterprise
4. The Value of Alliances and Mergers and the Vulnerability of Art Institutions
5. The Art / Science Paradigm