ELIA - The European League of Institutes of the Arts is a globally connected European network that provides a dynamic platform for professional exchange and development in higher arts education. With over 250 members in 47 countries, it represents some 300.000 students in all art disciplines. Its cross-disciplinary quality makes ELIA unique as a network. ELIA advocates for higher arts education by empowering and creating new opportunities for its members and facilitating the exchange of good practices. ELIA collaborates with partner networks around the world.
ELIA’s main objectives are to …
… strengthen the position of higher arts education;
… support the free development of education in the arts;
… promote the arts as a central contributor to social and economic development;
… encourage cultural diversity and foster communication between cultures.
ELIA’s Strategic Focus 2016–2020 is based on four pillars. It aims to promote, enable and facilitate ...
...knowledge exchange and academic discourse
… networking, collaboration and interaction
… advocacy and representation
… academic leadership and professionalism
ELIA’s aims are primarily realized through ...
… the ELIA Biennial Conference
– hosted by member institutions in different European locations, being the largest conference on higher arts education worldwide, drawing an audience of approximately 500 professionals
… the Leadership Symposium
– a biennial conference hosted by international institutions and organizations, bringing together influential leaders from higher arts education institutions and universities across the globe
… the ELIA Academy
– a biennial conference hosted by member institutions in different European locations, dedicated to pedagogic research and emerging teaching practices
… projects and initiatives – exhibitions, symposia, research and evaluation
… dissemination – website, publications, position papers, social media
ELIA’s strategic focus covers five key topics:
- Sustainable careers and entrepreneurship
- Inclusion, participation and social engagement
- Research and practice
- Pedagogy – curriculum development, learning and teaching
- Art education in secondary schools and adult learning contexts
Additional important topics include:
- Interdisciplinarity and collaboration
- New technologies
- Environment and sustainability
- Ranking and league tables
The topics will inform all of ELIA’s activities.