Call for NEU NOW Project Assistant
NEU NOW Project Assistant (specialising in Production)
Variable, 16-24 hours/week April-July, 24-32 hours/week August-Early September, 40+ during the event from 11-18 September, 16 hours/week 19 September-18 October
: 18 October
Deadline for application: Wednesday 5 April 2017
Are you an emerging arts and culture professional or recent graduate with some work experience in events production and management?
Are you based in Amsterdam and looking to raise your professional profile within the city’s cultural landscape?
Are you interested in growing your network locally as well as internationally by working with the next generation of top emerging artists from 18+ countries from across Europe and beyond to present their work in one of Amsterdam’s cultural icons, the Westergasfabriek?
Are you eager to diversify your portfolio with work experience across arts disciplines (design/architecture, film/animation, music/sound, theatre/dance and visual arts)?
Are you excited by the prospect of contributing to an event that is undertaking a new chapter in its development?
Are you interested in joining an experienced international team of arts and culture professionals?
Do you have working proficiency in English and Dutch?
Do you enjoy active work in the field and interacting with a wide range of people?
Do you have a flexible, proactive attitude with a work mentality that goes beyond 9 to 5?
If you answered an enthusiastic yes to all of the above then read on…
About NEU NOW
NEU NOW 2017 Amsterdam will be open to the public from 14-17 September 2017 in the Westergasfabriek.
NEU NOW is Amsterdam’s international art festival devoted to presenting the work of exceptional emerging talents advancing from art academies across Europe and beyond. A curated selection of graduating artists and recent art graduates from across all artistic disciplines is brought together to share their works, practices and cultural perspectives in ways that encourage future collaborations. NEU NOW highlights the fluid character of the artistic disciplines to present a programme in which exhibitions, performances, workshops, films and artist talks converge to provide new perspectives and future opportunities. Cutting edge presentations and activities feature artwork that questions, comments on and challenges recent developments in the world.
NEU NOW is:
- an online and a live event that promotes artistic excellence through cutting edge presentations and activities;
- an opportunity for selected emerging artists to show their work, meet each other, and create new international partnerships;
- a space where informed audiences, producers, and curators can see the most excellent artists and innovative projects coming from art schools and universities across Europe and beyond;
- a forum where artists, producers, curators, cultural operators, and policy makers can discuss future developments in the arts and share views on the cultural role of higher arts education institutions;
- a means of presenting a new international generation of upcoming artists to the attention of a wide audience;
Artists are nominated for participation in NEU NOW by a representative of their (former) art institution, such a professor or head of department. From over 400 nominations received for the open call for NEU NOW 2017, an international jury of arts experts will select between 18-25 artists to participate in the NEU NOW festival from 14-17 September in Amsterdam.
In addition to the festival in September, a series of outreach activities promoting alumni of past editions of NEU NOW will happen throughout the year. Selected artists are invited to show their work and participate in residencies with partners of NEU NOW including:
+ FOAM Amsterdam
+ FHNW at Art Basel
+ Prix Europa Berlin
Previous editions of NEU NOW were held in Vilnius, Tallinn, Nantes, Porto, Amsterdam and Glasgow. In 2015 the festival returned to Amsterdam, excited to put down roots in one city.
NEU NOW is an initiative of ELIA – European League of Institutes of the Arts.
About the Position
The main task of the NEU NOW Project Assistant is to assist the NEU NOW Project Manager in the planning, production and execution of the NEU NOW Festival. Under the guidance and supervision of the NEU NOW Project Manager, you will work with other team members, in particular the NEU NOW Technical Coordinator and NEU NOW Communications & PR Manager, in realising the festival.
Candidates must be able to work independently and will need to complete a wide range of activities requiring clear, effective communication, critical thinking, excellent organisational and interpersonal skills as well as attention to detail.
The candidate must be equally at home in the office undertaking administrative work (knowledge of Microsoft Office suite is required) as well as in the field meeting the needs of artists, audiences, staff and other stakeholders to make the event a reality.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Assistant is responsible for assisting in the planning, production and execution of the NEU NOW live and online festivals.
Tasks include supporting the NEU NOW Project Manager in her remit by assisting with:
What We Offer
- Researching the technical, logistical and financial viability of short listed artists for final selection to participate in NEU NOW 2017
- Preparing contracts for artists and nominating institutions
- Planning and booking travels and hotels of artists and other relevant parties
- Arranging transportation of art works and art work materials via shipping companies or in coordination with artists
- Arranging venue facilities and logistics
- Sourcing artwork and festival materials and technical equipment including researching prices, creating cost comparisons and liaising with vendors
- Collecting, managing and uploading media (images, film, textual content) from selected artists for the NEU NOW festival catalogue and website
- Recruiting and supervising volunteers for the NEU NOW Festival
- Communicating with NEU NOW artists, nominators, jury, artistic directors, steering/management group, venues, vendors and other relevant parties
- Liasing with NEU NOW team members including the NEU NOW PR & Communications Manager, NEU NOW PR & Communications Manager Assistant, NEU NOW Technical Coordinator, NEU NOW Technical Crew, NEU NOW Production Crew, NEU NOW Designer, NEU NOW Photographer, NEU NOW Videographer, any other relevant staff within and outside of the organisation and partners
- Preparing agendas and making minutes of project meetings
- Coordinating production of print and digital design materials including posters, programmes, banners and other materials
- Managing NEU NOW websites and contents, including NEU NOW live programme, NEU NOW online and related events
- Running the festival on site at the Westergasfabriek in preparation for and during the event
- Database and registration/administration as needed
- Fundraising event, reports and evaluations as needed
- Ad hoc tasks as needed
The role of NEU NOW Project Assistant is perfectly suited for the candidate at the start of their career with some past production experience in the professional arts arena, those interested in a career in interntional arts/culture production and event planning and those looking to expand their network in the Amsterdam cultural landscape while gaining solid contacts in the international arts industries.
NEU NOW offers the opportunity to work with a small and collaborative team of dedicated professionals from diverse cultural and creative backgrounds. Although focused on production, in the course of their work the Project Assistant will have the opportunity to have an overview of the many different aspects of successfully mounting a festival through working in close conjunction with team members from all areas of operations, including PR, Communications, Tech, Fundraising, etc.,
The role of Project Assistant is a paid position that is open to be arranged on a ZZP (freelance) basis or as a salaried employee on a temporary contract, dependant on the needs of the chosen candidate.
Join Us: Apply Now!
Interested candidates should send their CV and a letter of motivation to NEU NOW Project Manager Jessica Maxwell at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Wednesday 5 April 2017